Welcome, Guest

problem with formula
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: problem with formula

problem with formula 4 months ago #2745

• amyers14
  • Fresh Boarder
I am attempting to create a free-form condition that is supposed to be essentially "total debt most recent period as a percentage of the average total assets for the past four quarters is greater than the total debt in the same period one year ago (i.e. (TD MRQ / Avg TA) > (TD Q-4 / Avg TA-4)

I am getting an "invalid expression" error and I cannot figure out where my error is in the formula. Anyone have any ideas? Here is the formula I am trying to plug:

( Short Term/Current Portion of Long Term Debt(I) + Long Term Debt(I) ) / (( Total Assets(I) + Total Assets(I-5)) / 2) > ( Short Term/Current Portion of Long Term Debt(I-5) + Long Term Debt(I-5) ) / (( Total Assets(I-5) + Total Assets(I-9) ) / 2)
Alan

Re: problem with formula 4 months ago #2746

• admin
  • Administrator
You need to separate your double parentheses with a space. The correct formula for your Free Form Condition is:

( Short Term/Current Portion of Long Term Debt(I) + Long Term Debt(I) ) / ( ( Total Assets(I) + Total Assets(I-5) ) / 2 ) > ( Short Term/Current Portion of Long Term Debt(I-5) + Long Term Debt(I-5) ) / ( ( Total Assets(I-5) + Total Assets(I-9) ) / 2 )

You may want to use I-4 instead of I-5 on the left hand side of your condition, to capture the same quarter in the prior year (for quarterly reporting companies). Then the periods, also, would not overlap.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds